Room Temperature or freeze
Help: Cookie Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Metal Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer | Timestick
TheBakingPan Recommends: The BEST instant read thermometer I’ve used for cooking and baking; the ThermoWorks Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer is incredibly fast, accurate, and well worth the investment. I use my Thermapen Thermometer for checking room temperature ingredients, tempering chocolate, baking bread, making pastry creams, sugar syrup, caramel, and candy, cooking meats and fish, and deep frying. Thermapen Thermometer available here.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup superfine granulated sugar Tip: Make your own superfine sugar by processing granulated white sugar in a food processor or grinder.
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- About 1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, almond flour, and salt; sift or whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, add the butter and beat on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add sugar and beat until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and almond extract, continue beating until mixture is thoroughly combined and mixture is creamy, about another 1 to 2 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to scrap down the side of the bowl as needed. Add flour mixture; beat starting on low speed, and then increase to medium speed as the mixture is combined. Tip: after adding the flour mixture the dough may seem dry and crumbly, keep beating until the dough comes together, this may take 1 to 3 minutes.
- Shape dough into balls, using 1 tablespoon of dough for each ball. Roll each ball into a log shape about 3 inches long, tapering the ends slightly, then curve the ends slightly making a crescent shape.
- Bake: Place crescents about 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes or until cookies are just a pale golden color and the bottoms and tips are just beginning to brown.
- Remove baking sheets from oven and place on a wire cooling rack to cool, letting the cookies cool about 5 minutes on the pans before moving cookies to the wire cooling rack.
- When cookies are cooled, gently roll each crescent in powdered sugar until completely coated.