Malt adds a subtle flavoring to this cake, reminiscent of an old-time malted milk shake. This recipe is from Paula Deen’s Holiday Baking 2007 magazine. Garnish the frosted cake with malted milk balls for added malted fun and flair.
Chocolate Malt Cake
Small amount of vegetable shortening and flour for preparing pans
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ cups sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
1 cup malted milk powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Malt Frosting:
1 cup unsweetened butter, room temperature
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup whipping (heavy) cream
½ cup malted milk powder
5 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
Malted Milk Balls, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare three 9-inch round layer cake pans; lightly grease the pans with shortening and dust with flour. Tip: to make baked cake easier to remove from pan, lightly grease the pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and then lightly grease the top of the parchment paper and dust the pan with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; sift or whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve.
- Add milk mixture, vegetable oil, and eggs to flour mixture; use an electric mixer or wooden spoon and beat until smooth. Add sour cream and vanilla; beat just until mixture is combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the surface with the back of a large spoon. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a long toothpick, wooden skewer, or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place pans on a wire cooling rack to cool for 10 to 15 minutes then remove cake from the pans and place the cake on the wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
Chocolate Malt Frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cocoa powder until creamy.
- In a small bowl, combine whipping cream and malted milk powder, stirring to dissolve. Add cream mixture to butter mixture, use an electric hand mixer or wooden spoon and beat until combined. Gradually beat in confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Optional: Garnish with malted milk balls
Tip: Serve cake using a pretty cake plate and cake server for a delightful presentation.
Description: Frosted One Bowl Oil Layer Cake
Pan: Three 9" Round Layers
Pan Prep: Greased and Floured
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 60 Minutes
Baking Time: 20 to 25 Minutes
Serves: 10 to 12
Storage: Cover and Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Cake, Chocolate
Help: Cake Hints, Chocolate Types
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....