Hazelnuts, also known as filberts, provide a wonderful rich taste to this flourless Easter nut cake. Decorate with colorful sugar Easter egg or jelly bean candies for a fanciful touch.
Small amount of vegetable shortening for preparing pans
5 large eggs, separated
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups filberts (hazelnuts), toasted, and finely ground
Tip: See Toasting Nuts and Seeds. Use a citrus zester and citrus juicer for fresh zest and freshly squeezed juice. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
3 tablespoons confectioners (powdered) sugar
3 tablespoons rum
Colored sugar Easter Eggs or jelly beans(optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one 9 inch round layer cake pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar; with an electric hand mixer beat 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high speed until the egg yolk foam becomes thick and lemon colored and drops in ribbons when the beater is lifted. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and ground hazelnuts; gently stir until well mixed.
- In another large mixing bowl and using clean beaters, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Using a balloon type whisk or large rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with the back of a large spoon. Bake about 35 minutes. When the sides of the cake begin to come away from the pan, turn off the oven and let cake stand 15 minutes in the warm oven.
- Remove from oven, then remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire cooling rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, and rum; beat until thick and stiff.
- Spread topping thickly over top of cooled cake. Decorate with colored sugar Easter eggs (optional.)
- Cover frosted cake and refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Tip: Serve cake using a pretty cake plate and cake server for a delightful presentation.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....