This is a perfect cake for a winter dessert. Sweet pears are nestled on top of a warm spice cake. Serve with sweetened whipped cream - Delicious.
Spicy Pear Upside-Down Cake
¼ cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pear syrup (from the drained pear halves)
1 can (1 pound) pear halves, drained, reserving 1 tablespoon syrup
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a 9 inch round layer cake pan in warm oven. Remove pan from oven, add brown sugar, flour, and pear syrup; stir to combine and spread mixture evenly in bottom of pan. Place pear halves cut-side down on top of the brown sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, egg, milk, brown sugar, and granulated sugar; whisk together until mixed. Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves; stir to mix.
- Pour batter evenly over pear halves. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until top springs back when pressed lightly in the center.
- Place baking pan on wire cooling rack to cool for 3 minutes. Gently loosen the edges with a small kitchen knife. Invert onto a serving plate. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so the topping drips down onto the cake.
- Serve warm or cool. If desired, serve with sweetened whipped cream.
Tip: Serve cake using a pretty cake plate and cake server for a delightful presentation.
Adapted from Pillsbury's Bake Off Dessert Cookbook 1968
Description: Upside-Down Cake
Pan: One 9" Round Layer
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 50 to 55 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Covered, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cake, Pear
Help: Cake Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....