Streusel, made with graham cracker, sugar, nuts, and spices is layered in the middle and sprinkled on top of this delicious coffee cake.
Old Fashioned Streusel Coffee Cake
1½ cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups cake flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one 8x8x2 inch square pan or one 9 inch round springform pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening and dust with flour. Tip: to make baked cake easier to remove from pan, lightly grease the pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and then lightly grease the top of the parchment paper and dust the pan with flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, cardamom, and melted butter. Stir to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; sift or whisk together to mix. Add butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk; beat until mixture is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Spread half of the batter into baking pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture. Spoon remaining batter over the streusel, and then sprinkle the remaining streusel on top.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes, or until a long toothpick, wooden skewer, or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire cooling rack for 20 minutes then remove cake from pan and finish cooling on wire rack. If pan was lined with parchment paper, grab the top edges of the parchment paper and lift cake from pan. Remove parchment paper and discard. If using a springform pan, remove pan from oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Loosen side of pan, then grabbing the top edges of the parchment paper, lift cake from pan and finish cooling on wire rack. Remove parchment paper and discard.
Tip: Serve cake using a pretty cake plate and cake server for a delightful presentation.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Description: Coffee Cake with Streusel
Pan: One 8"x8"x2" Square
Pan Prep: Greased and Floured
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 60 to 70 Minutes
Serves: 8 to 10
Storage: Covered, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cake, Streusel
Help: Cake Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....