Once you try this tender cake, it’s sure to become one of your favorites. Made with thick whipped cream instead of butter, the cream is folded into a vanilla batter and results in a cake with a light tender crumb that is moist and delicious. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries for a special, yet easy dessert.
Whipped Cream Pound Cake
Small amount of vegetable shortening and flour for preparing pan
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream, chilled
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one 9 inch fluted tube pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening and dust with flour.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer beat the whipping cream until firm peaks form. Do not over-whip until it is grainy, as it will not fold as easily into the batter. Set aside in the refrigerator.
Tip: Cream whips easiest when the bowl and beaters, as well as the cream, are well chilled. Place the bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before using, and keep the cream in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; sift or whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, until they are thick and pale colored.
- With the mixer on medium speed, slowly add the sugar to the eggs, either one tablespoon at a time, or in a very slow steady stream, taking from 4 to 8 minutes to add all of the sugar, and beating until the eggs and sugar are fully incorporated. Add the vanilla and continue mixing for another 1 minute until well blended.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add about ½ of the flour mixture, mix just until blended, and then add the remaining half, mix just until blended, scraping down the side of the bowl as needed.
- Using a balloon type whisk or large rubber spatula, gently fold in the whipped cream, one-third at a time. Be sure the cream is thoroughly folded through the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with the back of a large spoon. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until a long toothpick, wooden skewer, or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes then remove cake from pan and place on a wire cooling rack to let cool.
Tip: Serve cake using a pretty cake plate and cake server for a delightful presentation.
Adapted from: Walter, Carole, Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More, Clarkson Potter Publishers, New York, 2007
Description: Cream Pound Cake
Pan: One 9" Fluted Tube Pan
Pan Prep:Greased and Floured
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 45 to 55 Minutes
Serves: 10 to 12
Storage: Covered, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cake, Whipping Cream
Help: Cake Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....