Tips: Make your own superfine sugar by processing granulated white sugar processed in a food processor or grinder. It is very important to ensure that no speck of egg yolk is mixed with the egg whites as the fat in the egg yolk will prevent the egg whites whipping to a stiff consistency.
Help: Cake Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Angel Food Cake Pans | Mixing Bowls | Flour Sifters | Wire Whisks | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Kitchen Knives | Food Processors
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1½ cups superfine sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- In a medium size mixing bowl, or on a piece of wax paper, use a sifter to sift together the cake flour and ¾ cup superfine sugar 4 times. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and warm water on medium speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar, salt, vanilla extract, and almond extract and increase speed to medium high. When the whites form soft peaks, slowly add the remaining ¾ cup superfine sugar one tablespoon at a time or in a low steady stream. Continue beating 1 to 2 minutes longer or until the egg whites are a stiff glossy meringue.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Place the flour and sugar mixture in a sifter and sift the flour over the egg white meringue, ¼ at a time, and gently fold each addition of flour into the egg whites with a large balloon type whisk or rubber spatula. The dry ingredients to not need to be fully incorporated after each addition; do not over mix and do not stir as this will deflate the batter.
- Gently spoon the batter into the ungreased Angel Food cake pan. Gently cut through the batter with a knife or rubber spatula to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake: Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and immediately invert pan. Let the cake cool completely in the pan, upside down. Tip: If your angel food cake pan doesn’t have legs, invert it over the neck of a long-necked bottle, such as a wine or soda bottle.
- To remove cake from a pan with a removable bottom, run a thin bladed kitchen knife around the side of the pan to loosen the cake, and then run the knife around the center tube. Holding the center tube, lift the cake and remove it from the outer rim. Run the knife under the cake to loosen it from the pan bottom. Invert the cake and remove the tube section. Transfer to a cake platter top side up.
- To serve, slice with a serrated knife using a sawing motion or use an angel food cake cutter.