Help: Cake Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Square Cake Pans | Springform Pans | Parchment Paper | Mixing Bowls | Flour Sifters | Wire Whisks | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Cake Testers | Wire Cooling Racks
- 1½ cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk (preferably whole milk)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, cardamom, and melted butter. Stir to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; sift or whisk together to mix. Add butter, eggs, vanilla, and milk; beat until mixture is smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Assembly: Spread half of the batter into baking pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture. Spoon remaining batter over the streusel, and then sprinkle the remaining streusel on top.
- Bake: Bake 60 to 70 minutes, or until a long toothpick, wooden skewer, or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire cooling rack for 20 minutes then remove cake from pan and finish cooling on wire rack. If pan was lined with parchment paper, grab the top edges of the parchment paper and lift cake from pan. Remove parchment paper and discard. If using a springform pan, remove pan from oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Loosen side of pan, then grabbing the top edges of the parchment paper, lift cake from pan and finish cooling on wire rack. Remove parchment paper and discard.