Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Pastry Blenders | Springform Pans | Tart Pans | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Roasting Pans | Kitchen Knives | Wire Cooling Racks | Wooden Spoons | Wire Whisks | Pastry Brushes
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons whipping (heavy) cream
- 1 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whipping (heavy) cream
- 3 to 4 cups fresh ripe strawberries
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolk and cream. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together. Tip: If the dough seems too dry, add another tablespoon of cream.
- Press pastry evenly into one 10 inch springform pan or 10 inch tart pan with a removable bottom, patting pastry evenly over bottom and about 2 inches up the sides. Lightly prick the bottom and sides with a fork. Place the pastry-lined pan on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate tart pastry until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake: Leaving the pan on the baking sheet, bake 15 to 20 minutes or until very light golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack to partially cool while preparing the filling. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Press cottage cheese through a strainer into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, and eggs; beat together with a wooden spoon or wire whisk until thoroughly blended; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat the whipping cream until cream is thick and stiff. Using a balloon type whisk or large rubber spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the cottage cheese mixture.
- Bake: Pour filling into partially cooled pastry. Bake 1 hour. Turn off the oven, and leave the cake in the oven to begin cooling for 1 additional hour. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire cooling rack to cool completely. When completely cooled, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- About 1 hour before serving rinse, dry, and hull the strawberries. Slice each strawberry ¼ inch thick. Arrange the strawberry slices in circles over the top of the cake, points outward, like the petals of a flower.
- Place the strawberry jam in a microwave-safe bowl, heat using 50% power and stir frequently just until the jam is warmed and melted. Use a pastry brush to brush the warm jam over the top of the strawberries. Return to the refrigerator about ½ hour or until the jam is set. Refrigerate leftovers.
Walter, Carole, Great Cakes, Random House, New York, 1991
Wolter, Annette, Teubner, Christian, Best of Baking, Fisher Publishing, 1980