Help: Cookie Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Non-Stick Baking Mats | Metal Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Ice Cream Scoops
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- About 4 dozen red or green candied cherries
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, sugar and corn syrup; beat together until mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add egg yolks; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour; stir until mixed.
- Cover dough and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- Dip the top of each ball into beaten egg whites, and then dip the top into the chopped nuts.
- Bake: Place balls, nut side up, 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Press a candied cherry into the center of each cookie. Bake 20 minutes or until cookies are set and very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.