Help: Cookie Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Non-Stick Baking Mats | Metal Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Ice Cream Scoops | Wooden Spoons
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt (If using salted pistachios, omit salt)
- 1 cup pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- About ½ cup cherry preserves
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, add butter and sugar; mix together on medium speed until combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrap down the side of the bowl as needed. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract; mix until thoroughly blended. Add flour, salt (if using), and pistachios, mixing just until combined.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1” in diameter. Place balls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. With your thumb or index finger, press an indentation in the center of each ball to hold the filling. Tip: instead of using your finger, use a wooden spoon with a rounded handle; make a deep indentation with the tip of the handle in the center of each cookie. If the dough sticks dip the tip in flour before pressing.
- Fill the center of each cookie with about ½ teaspoon cherry preserves. Do not overfill or the preserves will run over while baking. Tip: to fill the cookies neatly, use a teaspoon, point the tip of the spoon down into the indentation and slide the preserves off with another spoon or your fingertip.
- Bake: Bake 15 minutes or until cookies are set and very lightly browned. Using a thin metal spatula, remove cookies from baking sheets and place on wire cooling racks to let cool.