Help: Cookie Hints and Tips, Chocolate Types, Toasting Nuts and Seeds
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | 9×13-inch Pans | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Wire Cooling Racks | Dough Scrapers | Kitchen Knives | Pizza Cutters
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 milk chocolate candy bars (1 or 1½ ounces each), broken in small pieces
- ½ cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla; use an electric mixer or wooden spoon and beat together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add flour and salt; stir until mixed.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of baking pan.
- Bake: Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle chocolate candy bars onto hot crust. As soon as the chocolate is soft, spread evenly over entire crust. Sprinkle nuts evenly over warm chocolate.
- While cookies are still warm in pan, cut into 2 inch squares. Leave cookie in pan to cool; place baking pan on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.