Help: Cookie Hints and Tips, Toasting Nuts and Seeds, Melting Chocolate, Chocolate Types
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Square Cake Pans | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Wire Cooling Racks | Dough Scrapers | Kitchen Knives | Pizza Cutters | Cookware
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- 5 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, combine butter and chocolate; stir constantly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until melted so mixture does not burn. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Or, place the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave at 50% power and stir frequently just until the chocolate is melted; do not overheat as mixture will burn easily. Set aside to cool slightly. Or, place butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. When the butter is almost melted add the chocolate. After one minute remove the bowl from the heat and let sit until the chocolate is completely melted, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla; use an electric mixer or wooden spoon and beat together until mixture is smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add cooled chocolate mixture; stir until mixed. Add flour; stir until mixed. Add nuts; stir to mix.
- Bake: Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Leave brownie in pan to cool; place baking pan on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, combine butter and chocolate; stir constantly until melted so mixture does not burn. Remove from heat. Add confectioners sugar, vanilla, and just enough hot water to make an easy spreading consistency; Use an electric hand mixer or wooden spoon and beat together until smooth.
- Spread frosting on top of cooled brownie. Cut into 2 inch squares.