Help: Cookie Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: [url Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Non-Stick Baking Mats | Pastry Mats | Pastry Boards | Rolling Pins | Cookie Cutters | Metal Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Pastry Brushes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup commercial eggnog
- 5½ cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for work surface
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Sugar sprinkles
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add eggnog; stir until blended. Add flour, baking soda, and nutmeg; stir to mix.
- Form dough into a 6 inch flattened disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a ⅛ to ¼ inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes using a cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)
- Place cutout dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Brush cookies with egg white using a pastry brush, and sprinkle with sugar sprinkles.
- Bake: Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.