Help: Cookie Hints and Tips, Melting Chocolate, Chocolate Types
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Square Cake Pans | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Wire Cooling Racks | Dough Scrapers | Kitchen Knives | Pizza Cutters | Cookware
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces milk chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- In a medium heavy saucepan over low heat, combine butter and chocolate; stir constantly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until melted so mixture does not burn. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Or, place the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, microwave at 50% power and stir frequently just until the chocolate is melted; do not overheat as mixture will burn easily. Set aside to cool slightly. Or, place butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. When the butter is almost melted add the chocolate. After one minute remove the bowl from the heat and let sit until the chocolate is completely melted, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla to chocolate mixture; stir to mix. Add eggs; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder; stir until mixed.
- Bake: Spread the batter evenly in the baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave brownie in pan to cool; place baking pan on a wire cooling rack to cool. Cut into 2 inch squares.