Help: Cookie Hints and Tips, Blanching Almonds
Shop for this Recipe: [url Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Non-Stick Baking Mats | Pastry Mats | Pastry Boards | Rolling Pins | Cookie Cutters | Metal Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Food Processors | Offset Spatulas
- 1¼ cups (6 ounces) slivered, or blanched whole almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- About ½ cup granulated sugar
- About ½ cup raspberry jam
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds and flour until nuts are finely ground. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; beat together until mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add vanilla extract and almond extract; stir until blended. Add nut mixture; stir to mix.
- Form dough into a 6 inch flattened disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a ¼ inch thickness. Cut dough into rounds using a 2 inch round or scalloped cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)
- Bake: Place cutout dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool slightly.
- Place sugar in a small bowl. While cookies are still warm, spread 1 teaspoon of the raspberry jam over bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie to make a sandwich. Roll cookie sandwich in sugar to coat all sides. Place on wire cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookies.