Help: Cookie Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Non-Stick Baking Mats | Metal Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Ice Cream Scoops | Sieves and Colanders
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- About 1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla extract; mix together on medium speed until combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrap down the side of the bowl as needed. Add flour, chopped nuts, and salt, mixing just until combined.
- Shape dough into balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- Bake: Place balls about 1 inch apart onto baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set but not brown.
- Remove baking sheets from oven.
- While cookies are still hot from the oven, roll each ball in powered sugar until completely coated.
- Place cookies on wire cooling racks to let cool. When completely cooled, either roll the cookies in confectioners sugar again until completely coated, or use a fine mesh sieve and sprinkle the tops of the cookies with the confectioners sugar. This second rolling finishes the cookies with a snowy-white topping.