Help: Cookie Hints and Tips
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Non-Stick Baking Mats | Metal Spatulas | Wire Cooling Racks | Ice Cream Scoops
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, shortening, and 1½ cups sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add eggs; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt; stir until mixed.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients of ¼ cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll the balls in the topping mixture until completely coated.
- Bake: Place balls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake 10 to 11 minutes. Tops of cookies should be puffed up and still soft in the middle. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool. The cookies will flatten out as they cool.