These tender cream cheese heart cookies are not overly sweet, and are perfect for Valentines Day. Dip half the baked cookie into melted semisweet chocolate for a black & white treat.
Black & White Hearts
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 large egg
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
4 teaspoons shortening (optional)
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add cream cheese, egg and vanilla; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour; stir until well mixed.
- Form dough into a 6 inch flattened disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough with a 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)
- Place cutout dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- In top of a double boiler over hot water, Melt the semi-sweet chocolate and shortening; stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
Tip: Create a double boiler by filling a saucepan with 2 inches of water and bringing it to a simmer. Turn the heat off and place a stainless steel, ceramic, or glass bowl on top of the simmering water, the upper pan should not touch the water. See Melting Chocolate – How to Melt Chocolate.
- Dip half of each heart into the melted chocolate. Place on wax paper; let sit until the chocolate is hardened.
Makes about 3½ dozen cookies
Adapted from: The Cookie Bible, Publications International, LTD, Illinois, 2004
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....