Bake these pretty hearts for your special valentine. Start with Traditional Rolled Sugar Cookie dough, and then add a delicious red maraschino cherry filling. The extra time it takes to make these cookies is worthwhile when you taste the wonderful flavor the cherry adds. Substitute the cherry filling with a seedless fruit jam if you prefer. Use a 2½ inch cookie cutter and a 1 inch cookie cutter for these hearts.
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for work surface
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
12 red maraschino cherries, finely chopped
¼ cup red maraschino cherry juice
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
½ cup granulated sugar
4½ teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Tip: Use a citrus juicer for freshly squeezed juice. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt; stir to mix.
- Form dough into a 6 inch flattened disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, cherry juice, orange juice, sugar, cornstarch, and butter; bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula so the mixture does not burn. Boil and stir for one minute. Remove from heat. Cool, and then refrigerate to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough into hearts or other desired shapes using a 2½ inch cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)
- Place one half of the cutout dough shapes 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Spoon about ½ teaspoon of the chilled cherry filling in the center of each cookie.
- Using a 1 inch heart shaped cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour, cut out the center of the remaining 2½ inch cutouts. Place over the filled cookies and gently press the edges together. Fill the centers with additional filling if needed. Re-roll the scraps, or bake the 1 inch heart shapes separately.
- Bake 10 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Makes about 3 dozen filled cookies
Adapted from: The Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies & Bars Fall 2007
Description: Cutout Cookies, Sandwiched with Filling
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Ungreased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 375o
Prep Time: 3 Hours
Baking Time: 10 Minutes
Yield: 3 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Cherry, Valentine's Day
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....