This is one of my daughter Jessica’s favorite Christmas cookies. They are easy to make, and very festive. Use either red or green cherries, or a combination of both.
Cherry Nut Delights
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light corn syrup
2 large egg yolks
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
2 cups finely chopped walnuts or pecans
About 4 dozen red or green candied cherries
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, sugar and corn syrup; beat together until mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add egg yolks; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour; stir until mixed.
- Cover dough and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- Dip the top of each ball into beaten egg whites, and then dip the top into the chopped nuts.
- Place balls, nut side up, 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Press a candied cherry into the center of each cookie. Bake 20 minutes or until cookies are set and very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Description: Shaped Cookies with Fruit and Nuts
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Ungreased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 325o
Prep Time: 3 Hours
Baking Time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 4 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Cherry, Walnuts, Pecans, Chrismas
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....