So easy to make, and so good. Use milk chocolate candy bars to melt over a buttery brown sugar cookie base, and then sprinkle with nuts. Once the bars cool and the chocolate hardens, they are ready to eat.
Chocolate Toffee Bars
Small amount of vegetable shortening for preparing pan
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
4 milk chocolate candy bars (1 or 1½ ounces each), broken in small pieces
½ cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one 13x9x2 inch oblong pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla; use an electric mixer or wooden spoon and beat together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add flour and salt; stir until mixed.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from oven. Immediately sprinkle chocolate candy bars onto hot crust. As soon as the chocolate is soft, spread evenly over entire crust. Sprinkle nuts evenly over warm chocolate.
- While cookies are still warm in pan, cut into 2 inch squares. Leave cookie in pan to cool; place baking pan on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Tip: My favorite tool to cut bar cookies is a stainless steel dough scraper; simply push the dough scraper straight down into the cookie for straight cuts. Or use a pizza cutter or small kitchen knife to cut the cookie into bars.
Makes about 3 dozen bars.
Description: Bar Cookie with Chocolate and Nuts
Pan: One 13"x9"x2" Oblong
Pan Prep: Greased
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 25 to 30 Minutes
Yield: 3 Dozen Bars
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Chocolate, Walnuts, Pecans
Help: Cookie Hints, Chocolate Types
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....