Include this scrumptious recipe in your holiday baking. My mom’s friend Joanna shared this recipe with me, and if you like dates, you will love this cookie.
Small amount of vegetable shortening for preparing pan
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1½ cups dates, coarsely chopped
1 cup walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
¼ sup confectioners (powdered) sugar
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare one 13x9x2 inch oblong pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla; use an electric mixer or wooden spoon and beat together until thoroughly mixed. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir until well mixed. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Spread the batter evenly into the baking pan. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cookie is still warm, cut into 1 inch by 3 inch bars.
Tip: My favorite tool to cut bar cookies is a stainless steel dough scraper; simply push the dough scraper straight down into the cookie for straight cuts. Or use a pizza cutter or small kitchen knife to cut the cookie into bars.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the tops of the still warm bars with confectioners sugar. Leave bars in pan to cool; place baking pan on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Makes about 3 dozen bars
Description: Bar Cookie with Fruit and Nuts
Pan: One 13"x9"x2" Oblong
Pan Prep: Greased
Oven Temp: 325o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 3 Dozen Bars
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Dates, Walnuts, Pecans, Dairy Free, Christmas
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....