The flavor of eggnog is always perfect during the Christmas season. Decorate these cookies with colored sugar sprinkles, or top with frosting if you prefer.
Parchment paper or small amount of vegetable shortening for preparing baking sheets
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup commercial eggnog
5½ cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for work surface
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add eggnog; stir until blended. Add flour, baking soda, and nutmeg; stir to mix.
- Form dough into a 6 inch flattened disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes using a cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)
- Place cutout dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Brush cookies with egg white using a pastry brush, and sprinkle with sugar sprinkles.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Recipe Adapted from The Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies & Bars Fall 2007
Description: Cutout Cookies
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Parchment Lined or Lightly Greased
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 3 Hours
Baking Time: 8 to 10 Minutes
Yield: 3 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Eggnog, Christmas
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....