These spicy cookies have an old-fashioned taste with a sugary cracked top.
Parchment paper or small amount of vegetable shortening for preparing baking sheets
¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
¼ cup light or dark molasses
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, shortening, and brown sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add egg, molasses and vanilla; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; stir until mixed.
- Cover dough and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- Dip the top of each ball into sugar.
- Place balls, sugar side up, 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake 11 minutes or just until cookies are set. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on baking sheet one minute. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Description: Shaped Cookies
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Greased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 375o
Prep Time: 3 Hours
Baking Time: 11 Minutes
Yield: 4 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....