A tender lemon cookie, covered with lemon frosting and a sprinkling of pistachio nuts; you’ll get a burst of fresh lemon with every delicious bite.
Lemon Ring Cookies
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Lemon Icing and Nut Garnish:
1½ cups confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup pistachio nuts, finely chopped
Tip: Use a citrus zester and citrus juicer for fresh zest and freshly squeezed juice. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In top of a double boiler over hot water, melt butter. Remove from heat and cool.
Tip: Create a double boiler by filling a saucepan with 2 inches of water and bringing it to a simmer. Turn the heat off and place a stainless steel, ceramic, or glass bowl on top of the hot water, the upper pan should not touch the water.
- Add sugar, egg yolks, lemon zest, and lemon juice to cooled butter; stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until well mixed.
- Add sugar mixture to flour mixture; mix with a wooden spoon or electric hand mixer to form a smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/8 inch to ¼ inch thickness. Cut dough with a round 2½ inch scalloped cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.) Cut out the center with a ½ inch round or scalloped cookie cutter. Re-roll and cut out the scraps.
- Place cutout dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Lemon Icing and Nut Garnish:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine confectioner's sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice and stir until smooth. Add additional 1 tablespoon of lemon juice if needed to make a good spreading consistency.
- Spread icing over cooled cookies. Sprinkle with a few chopped pistachio nuts before the frosting sets. Tip: Ice one cookie at a time, then immediately sprinkle nuts on top, and then set on a wire cooling rack for icing to set.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Adapted from: Wolter, Annette, Teubner, Christian, Best of Baking, Fisher Publishing, 1980________________________________________________
Description: Iced Cutout Cookies
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Ungreased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 400o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 11 to 13 Minutes
Yield: 3 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookies, Lemon, Pistachios, Easter, Afternoon Tea
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....