Almond flavored butter cookies filled with raspberry jam and lemon zest that are both delicious to eat and pretty to serve.
Linzer Thumbprint Cookies
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup ground almonds
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
½ cup raspberry preserves
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Tip: Use a citrus zester for fresh zest. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; mix together until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add egg yolks, vanilla extract, and almond extract; mix until thoroughly blended. Add flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Shape dough into small balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- Place balls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. With your thumb or index finger, press an indentation in the center of each ball to hold the filling. Tip: instead of using your finger, use a wooden spoon with a rounded handle; make a deep indentation with the tip of the handle in the center of each cookie. If the dough sticks dip the tip in flour before pressing.
- Bake 20 minutes or until cookies are set and very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine raspberry preserves and lemon zest.
- Fill the center of each cookie with about ½ teaspoon of the filling. Tip: to fill the cookies neatly, point the tip of the spoon down into the indentation and slide the filling off with another spoon or your fingertip.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Description: Thumbprint Cookies with Fruit Preserves
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Ungreased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 300o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 3 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Raspberry, Afternoon Tea, Valentine's Day
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....