This recipe is shared with me by Albert Greuter, from his Great Grandmother Preussner who had all her recipes hand written in German, but Albert has since translated into English. These little cookies are delightful, with a nice nutty almond flavor and cinnamon coating. Mandelhoernchen means “Almond Horns,” as the dough is rolled into ropes then cut into smaller pieces which are curved into a crescent, or “horn” shape.
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup finely chopped blanched almonds
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and almonds; whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; mix together until well combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add almond extract; mix until thoroughly blended. Add flour mixture, mixing until combined. Tip: When adding the flour the mixture will seem dry and crumbly. Keep mixing until the dough comes together.
- Cover and refrigerate dough until chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- Shape chilled dough into ropes ½ inch thick; cup ropes into 2 inch long pieces. Curve each cut piece into a crescent shape, smoothing the cut ends. Tip: Gently curve around your finger to form the crescent shape.
- Place crescents about 1 inch apart onto baking sheets. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until cookies are set but not brown.
- Remove baking sheets from oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and cinnamon. Sift or stir together to thoroughly combine.
- While cookies are still hot from the oven, roll each cookie in the powered sugar mixture until completely coated.
- Place cookies on wire cooling racks to let cool. When completely cooled, re-roll the cookies in the powdered sugar mixture again.
Description: Shaped Cookies
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Greased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 325o
Prep Time: 4 Hours
Baking Time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 5½ Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Almonds, Cinnamon, Egg Free, Christmas
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....