A creamy rum frosting tops these flavorful drop cookies. Mincemeat, spices, and rum flavoring are added to a brown sugar dough. These cookies are a nice treat anytime in the fall or winter, or add to your cookie tray at Thanksgiving, or Christmas.
Mincemeat Drops with Rum Frosting
Parchment paper or small amount of vegetable shortening for preparing baking sheets
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup prepared mincemeat
½ teaspoon rum flavoring
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
¼ cup golden rum
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg; whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and brown sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add eggs; beat until thoroughly mixed. Add mincemeat and rum flavoring; stir until mixed. Add sifted flour mixture, stir until mixed.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake 14 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned and only a slight indentation remains when cookies are touched. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, confectioner’s sugar, and rum; beat until smooth. Spread a small amount of frosting on each cooled cookie.
Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Recipe Adapted from Bluestein, Barry and kevin Morrissey, The Complete Cookie, Doubleday, New York, 1996
Description: Frosted Drop Cookies with Fruit
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Parchment Lined or Lightly Greased
Oven Temp: 375o
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Baking Time: 14 to 15 Minutes
Yield: 3 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Mincemeat, Rum, Thanksgiving, Christmas
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....