These Raspberry Almond cookies are tender and delightful, combining a shortbread cookie, sandwiched with raspberry jam, and rolled in sugar.
Raspberry Almond Cookies
1¼ cups (6 ounces) slivered, or blanched whole almonds
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
About ½ cup granulated sugar
About ½ cup raspberry jam
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds and flour until nuts are finely ground. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar; beat together until mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add vanilla extract and almond extract; stir until blended. Add nut mixture; stir to mix.
- Form dough into a 6 inch flattened disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, and using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough into rounds using a 2 inch round or scalloped cookie cutter that has been dipped in flour (to help prevent dough from sticking to the cutter.)
- Place cutout dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes or until cookies are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool slightly.
- Place sugar in a small bowl. While cookies are still warm, spread 1 teaspoon of the raspberry jam over bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie to make a sandwich. Roll cookie sandwich in sugar to coat all sides. Place on wire cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Description: Cutout Cookies, Sandwiched with Filling
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep:Ungreased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 3½ Hours
Baking Time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 2 Dozen Sandwiches
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Raspberry, Almond, Egg-Free, Christmas, Easter
Help: Cookie Hints, Blanching Almonds
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....