Rich with butter and nuts, these little shortbread-like “cakes” seem to melt in your mouth. Roll these cookies twice in confectioners sugar; the first rolling allows the sugar to melt into the cookie, the second rolling gives the finished snowy-white topping, making a festive favorite holiday cookie. This cookie is known by many names including Mexican Wedding Cakes, Swedish Tea Cakes, Italian Butter Nut Cookies, Butterballs, and Snowballs.
Russian Teacake Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
¼ teaspoon salt
About 1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Baking sheets may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla extract; mix together on medium speed until combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrap down the side of the bowl as needed. Add flour, chopped nuts, and salt, mixing just until combined.
- Shape dough into balls, about 1” in diameter. Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- Place balls about 1 inch apart onto baking sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set but not brown.
- Remove baking sheets from oven.
- While cookies are still hot from the oven, roll each ball in powered sugar until completely coated.
- Place cookies on wire cooling racks to let cool. When completely cooled, either roll the cookies in confectioners sugar again until completely coated, or use a fine mesh sieve and sprinkle the tops of the cookies with the confectioners sugar. This second rolling finishes the cookies with a snowy-white topping.
Makes about 3½ dozen cookies.
Description: Shaped Cookies
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Ungreased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 400o
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Baking Time: 10 to 12 Minutes
Yield: 3½ Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Walnuts, Pecans, Egg Free, Christmas
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....