Add these delicious Sweet Potato Drop cookies to your Thanksgiving dessert table along with the pumpkin and pecan pies. Everything about these cookies tastes of the holidays; from the sweet potatoes, raisins, spices, pecans, to the bourbon. The bourbon glaze drizzled over the top also saturates into the cookies, giving them a potent bourbon kick.
Sweet Potato Drops
1 pound sweet potatoes (about 1 or 2 medium)
1/3 cup dark raisins
1/3 cup golden raisins
¼ cup bourbon
8 ounces canned crushed pineapple
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
3 tablespoons bourbon
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- Bake the sweet potato until fork tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Cut potato in half and scoop out the insides. Mash with a fork. You should have about 1 cup. Set aside to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the dark raisins, golden raisins, and bourbon. Set aside to soak.
- Drain the pineapple in a colander, pressing out the excess liquid with the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans; whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and brown sugar; cream together until mixture appears light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so the mixture blends evenly. Add egg; beat until thoroughly mixed. Stir in 1 cup of mashed sweet potatoes and pineapple. Stir in the raisins and bourbon. Add flour mixture; stir until mixed.
- Using 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, drop dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. With the back of a spoon, flatten each cookie to a 2½ inch circle. Bake 15 minutes or until the cookies are firm to the touch and the edges are golden brown. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Tip: An ice cream scoop is ideal for making uniform-sized cookies.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and bourbon; stir until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Adapted From: Bluestein, Barry and Kevin Morrissey, The Complete Cookie, Doubleday, New York, 1996
Description: Iced Drop Cookies with Fruit
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep:Parchment Lined or Lightly Greased
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 2 Hours
Baking Time: 15 Minutes
Yield: 4 Dozen
Storage: Airtight Container, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Cookie, Sweet Potato, Raisins, Pecans, Pineapple, Thanksgiving
Help: Cookie Hints
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....