Coconut Pecan Frosting
This is the original topping recipe used with German Chocolate Cake. The sweet coconut and pecan mixture includes egg yolks, butter, vanilla, sugar and evaporated milk. A classic recipe for a classic cake.
Recipe type: Frosting, Coconut
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 2⅔ cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
- 1½ cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- In a medium heavy saucepan over low heat, combine egg yolks, evaporated milk, and vanilla; use a wire whisk and whisk together until well blended. Add sugar and butter; cook on medium heat just to a boil, stirring constantly so mixture does not burn. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature.
- Using an offset spatula spread Coconut-Pecan Topping between cake layers and onto top of cake.