The perfect answer to left over sweet potatotes. These muffins are full of warm spices, nuts and raisins, and a sprinkle of sugar on top.
Sweet Potato Muffins
2/3 cup baked sweet potato, cooled
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ cup milk (preferably whole milk)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ cup toasted walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
¼ cup chopped golden raisins
¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest (about half of 1 lemon)
Tip: Use a citrus zester for fresh zest. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a standard 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sweet potato, butter, ½ cup sugar, egg, and milk; using a wooden spoon or wire whisk, stir or whisk together until well blended. In a large bowl, combine sweet potato, butter, ½ cup sugar, egg, and milk; whisk together until well blended. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg; stir just until blended. Add nuts, raisins, and lemon zest; lightly stir to mix in.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle tops of each muffin with ¼ teaspoon sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from muffin pan and cool on a wire cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins
Description: Fruit and Nut Muffins
Pan: One 12 Cup Standard Muffin
Pan Prep: Greased or Paper Cups
Oven Temp: 400o
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Baking Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Yield: 12 Muffins
Storage: Tightly Wrapped, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Muffins, Sweet Potato, Walnuts, Pecans, Raisins, Thanksgiving
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....