Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Pie Pans | Pie Crust Shields | Mixing Bowls | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Wire Cooling Racks
- Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch single crust pie
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup milk (preferably whole milk)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Prepare Classic Pie Pastry for a 9 inch single-crust pie. Line a 9 inch pie pan with the bottom pastry. Trim the pastry to one inch beyond the edge of the pie pan. Flute or decorate the edges. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate pie pastry until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the maple syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, milk, melted butter, and vanilla; lightly stir together to completely blend. Do not over-mix, which will create air bubbles. Stir in the coconut, oats, and walnuts. Pour the mixture into the chilled pastry shell.
- Bake: Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is slightly puffed, and the pie is set but still jiggles slightly if the pan is given a gentle shake. Tip: During baking, if crust is getting too brown, loosely place a piece of foil over the top to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack for at least 3 hours before cutting and serving. The filling will firm as it cools. Cover and refrigerate within 8 hours. Refrigerate Leftovers.