Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Pie Pans | Mixing Bowls | Wire Whisks | Pastry Blenders | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Wire Cooling Racks | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Citrus Zesters | Pastry Brushes
- Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch single-crust pie
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest (zest of one orange)
- 4 large tart baking apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Approximately 1 teaspoon milk (preferably whole milk)
- Approximately 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Prepare Classic Pie Pastry for a 9 inch single-crust pie. Roll out the pastry at least 4 inches larger in diameter than the size of the pie pan. Line one 9 inch pie pan with the bottom pastry; do not cut off the excess pastry. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and slice apples, about ¼ inches thick. Toss apples into sugar mixture, stir until well mixed. Add cranberries, stir until mixed
- Spread apple and cranberry mixture in the pastry-lined pie pan. Fold the excess pie pastry up over the filling, leaving the middle open.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush milk over top of pastry, sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake: Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Bake an additional 60 minutes, or until the apple juices are bubbling and the crust is a golden brown. Tip: During baking, if crust is getting too brown, loosely place a piece of foil over the top to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack before cutting and serving.