Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Pie Pans | Pie Crust Shields | Mixing Bowls | Wire Whisks | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Wooden Spoons | Wire Cooling Racks | Kitchen Knives
- Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch pie (link to pie pastry)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (15 ounce can) pumpkin
- 1½ cups (12 ounce can) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch single-crust pie. Line a 9 inch deep dish pie pan with the pastry. Crimp the pastry edges, and decorate with leaf shapes from left-over pastry pieces if desired. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate pie shell until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a wire whisk or fork until frothy. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt, beat well to mix. Pour mixture in the pastry-lined pie pan.
- Bake: Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Bake an additional 60 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned and the pie jiggles slightly if the pan is given a gentle shake. Tip: During baking, if crust is getting too brown, loosely place a piece of foil over the top to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack 2 to 3 hours before cutting and serving. Cover and refrigerate within 8 hours.