Apple pie is my son Ryan’s favorite dessert. Grandma Myers served apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese for dessert. However, nothing beats warm apple pie served ala-mode with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Try combining more than one variety of apples for a richer apple flavor. I also like to add a little bit of brown sugar and almond extract to make a more flavorful, and best apple pie ever.
All-American Apple Pie
Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch double-crust pie
1¼ cups granulated sugar
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
8 large apples (8 Granny Smith apples, or, 6 Granny Smith apples and 2 Braeburn apples)
½ teaspoon pure almond extract
Approximately 1 teaspoon milk (preferably whole milk)
Approximately 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare pastry for a 9 inch double-crust pie. Line a 9 inch pie pan with the bottom pastry.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and dice apples into small pieces, about ¼ inches thick. Toss apple pieces into sugar mixture, stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Sprinkle almond extract over apple mixture, stir until well mixed.
- Spread apple mixture in the pastry-lined pie pan. Cover filling with the top pastry and flute the edges. Cut slits or decorative designs in the top pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush milk or half and half over top pastry and fluted edges, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Bake an additional 60 minutes, or until the apple juices are bubbling and the crust is a golden brown. Tip: During baking, if crust is getting too brown, loosely place a piece of foil over the top to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack before cutting and serving.
Serving suggestion: Serve pie either when cooled to room temperature or still slightly warm. Spoon a dollop of whipped cream or whipped topping on top, or serve ala-mode with vanilla ice cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Description: Double Crust Fruit Pie
Pan: One 9" Pie
Pastry: Classic Pie
Pastry Prep: Unbaked
Starting Oven Temp: 425o
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Baking Time: 75 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Covered, Cool Place or Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Pie, Apple, Egg Free, Thanksgiving
Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....