Bake this pretty and delicious apple tart when the new crop of fall apples is available. Apples are available year round; however they are especially good in the fall. The brown sugar and almond pastry is filled with sweet baking apples, then covered with an orange marmalade-brown sugary syrup.
Apple-Brown Sugar Tart
Brown Sugar Pastry:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted, then finely ground or chopped
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
½ cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon ice water (if needed)
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
3 sweet baking apples (1½ pounds), such as Gala or Pink Lady
3 tablespoons Orange Marmalade
Tip: Use a citrus juicer for freshly squeezed juice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brown Sugar Pastry:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, almonds, brown sugar, and egg yolk. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, but holds together when pinched with your fingers. Or, process in a food processor. If pastry is too dry, add 1 tablespoon ice water.
- Press pastry evenly into one 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom, patting pastry evenly over bottom and up the sides, flush with the rim of the pan.
- In a large bowl, add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, orange juice, and tapioca; stir until well mixed. Let sit for 10 minutes to soften the tapioca.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into ¼ inch-thick slices. Toss the apple slices into the brown sugar mixture, gently stir to coat apples. Place the slices in the prepared pastry lined pan, neatly overlapping the pieces.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining brown sugar and Orange Marmalade. Heat in 30 second intervals using 100% power, stirring each time, until marmalade is melted. Pour evenly over apple slices.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and apples are tender when pierced. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack at least 15 minutes.
- Remove the outer metal ring of the tart pan; slide a thin kitchen knife between the bottom crust and the tart pan bottom to release, then slide the tart onto a serving plate.
Serving suggestion: Serve tart either when cooled to room temperature or still slightly warm. Spoon a dollop of whipped cream on top, or serve ala-mode with vanilla ice cream.
Description: Single Crust Fruit Tart
Pan: One 9" Tart with Removeable Bottom
Pastry: Brown Sugar
Pastry Prep: Unbaked
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Baking Time: 55 to 60 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Covered, Cool Place or Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Tart, Apple, Almonds, Orange, Thanksgiving
Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....