Key Lime Pie is a wonderful spring and summertime dessert with a sweet-tart flavor, and smooth creamy texture, and is also designated the official state pie of Florida. The egg yolks give this pie a beautiful pale yellow color, with the lime zest providing little flecks of green throughout.
Key Lime Pie can be made with a regular pastry crust; however a graham cracker crust with its sweet taste and crunchy texture is absolutely delicious. Serve this classic southern dessert either plain, or with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top.
Key Lime Pie
9 inch Graham Cracker Crust:
1½ cups Graham Cracker crumbs (about 11 full graham cracker sheets)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
Key Lime Filling:
4 large egg yolks
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
½ cup freshly squeezed Key Lime juice (about 15 to 20 Key Limes)
2 teaspoons grated Key Lime zest
Tip: Use a citrus zester and citrus juicer for fresh zest and freshly squeezed juice.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Graham Cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Stir until thoroughly mixed and mixture is crumbly.
- Pour the graham cracker crumb mixture into a 9 inch pie pan. Using the back of a large spoon or the flat bottom of a measuring cup or drinking glass, press the crumb mixture firmly and evenly across the bottom and against the sides of the pie pan.
- Bake 10 minutes. The edges may be just slightly browned, but you do not want the edges or crust to over-brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Key Lime Filling:
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs yolks with a wire whisk or electric hand mixer 1 to 2 minutes or until they are thick and lemon colored. Add sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest; Beat 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly mixed and appears smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling into the baked and cooled graham cracker crust. Bake 10 minutes or just until the center of the filling is set, but still wiggles when shaken. Remove from oven. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover pie and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Description: Cream Fruit Pie
Pan: One 9" Pie
Pastry: Graham Cracker
Pastry Prep: Baked
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Pastry BakeTime: 10 Minutes
Filling Bake Time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Cover and Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Pie, Lime, Graham Cracker Crust, Fourth of July
Help: Graham Cracker Crust
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....