A buttery almond pastry crust balances the flavor of the sweet, yet tart lemon filling. A beautiful dessert for Valentines Day, Easter, or any special occasion. Serve this delicious tart plain or with whipped cream, and garnished with lemon peel spirals.
Lemon Tart with Almond Crust
Small amount of butter for preparing pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup blanched almonds, toasted, and finely ground
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
½ teaspoon pure almond extract
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Tip: Use a citrus zester and citrus juicer for fresh zest and freshly squeezed juice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare one 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom; lightly grease the bottom and sides of the pan with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, ground almonds, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Or, process in a food processor. Add almond extract and 2 tablespoons ice water. Stir until mixture holds together when pinched with your fingers. If pastry is too dry, add additional 1 tablespoon ice water.
- Press pastry evenly into tart pan, patting pastry evenly over bottom and up the sides, flush with the rim of the pan.
- Place the pastry lined tart pan on a baking sheet, and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until very light golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium heavy saucepan over low heat, combine sugar, eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and butter. Cook and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until butter is melted and mixture is thickened, about 7 to 8 minutes or registers 170 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Immediately pour hot mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to strain out the lemon zest and any pieces of cooked egg; pour into baked tart crust.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until filling is set. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Crust Fruit Custard Tart
Pan: One 9" Tart with Removeable Bottom
Pastry Prep: Baked
Starting Oven Temp: 400o
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Pastry Bake Time: 15 to 20 Minutes
Filling Bake Time: 13 to 15 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Cover and Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Tart, Lemon, Almonds, Easter, Valentine's Day
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....