Bright red cranberries and crisp fall apples make a pretty dessert. The flavors of fall come together in this flavorful tart, sweetened with brown sugar and orange zest.
Rustic Apple Cranberry Tart
Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch single-crust pie
¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons grated orange zest (zest of one orange)
4 large tart baking apples, such as Granny Smith
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
Tip: Use a citrus zester for fresh zest.
Approximately 1 teaspoon milk (preferably whole milk)
Approximately 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare Classic Pie Pastry for a 9 inch single-crust pie. Roll out the pastry at least 4 inches larger in diameter than the size of the pie pan. Line one 9 inch pie pan with the bottom pastry; do not cut off the excess pastry. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and slice apples, about ¼ inches thick. Toss apples into sugar mixture, stir until well mixed. Add cranberries, stir until mixed
- Spread apple and cranberry mixture in the pastry-lined pie pan. Fold the excess pie pastry up over the filling, leaving the middle open.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush milk over top of pastry, sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Bake an additional 60 minutes, or until the apple juices are bubbling and the crust is a golden brown. Tip: During baking, if crust is getting too brown, loosely place a piece of foil over the top to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack before cutting and serving.
Description: Free-Form Fruit Tart
Pan: One 9" Pie
Pastry: Classic Pie
Pastry Prep: Unbaked
Starting Oven Temp: 425o
Prep Time: 1 hour
Baking Time: 75 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Covered, Cool Place or Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Tart, Apple, Cranberry, Egg Free, Thanksgiving
Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....