This Sweet Potato Pecan Pie has all the flavors of fall, with a warm spiced sweet potato filling sandwiched between layers of pecans. The brown sugar pecan topping forms a sweet crunch glaze, and would taste perfect topped with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Sweet Potato Pecan Pie
Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch single crust pie
Sweet Potato Filling:
2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (about 1¾ pounds)
3 large eggs
½ cup whipping (heavy) cream
¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup pecans, broken by hand into large pieces
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
¾ cup pecans, broken by hand into large pieces
- Prepare Classic Pie Pastry for a 9 inch single-crust pie. Line a 9 inch deep dish pie pan with the bottom pastry. Trim the pastry to one inch beyond the edge of the pie pan. Flute the edges. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate pie pastry until firm, at least 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Puree the sweet potatoes in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a wire whisk or electric hand mixer. Add the pureed sweet potatoes, whipping cream, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg. Continue beating until very smooth.
- Scatter the broken pecans in an even layer over the bottom of the chilled pie pastry; Pour the filling over the pecans.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove pie from oven and add the pecan topping.
- Prepare the pecan topping while the pie is baking. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and broken pecans. Carefully spoon topping over the partially baked filling, without disturbing the filling. Return pie to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer, until the topping is bubbly. Tip: During baking, if crust is getting too brown, loosely place a piece of foil over the top to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack 2 to 3 hours before cutting and serving. Cover and refrigerate within 8 hours. Refrigerate Leftovers.
Description: Single Crust Custard Nut Pie
Pan: One 9" Deep Dish Pie
Pastry: Classic Pie
Pastry Prep: Chilled, Unbaked
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 4 hours
Baking Time: 60 to 65 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Cover and Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Pie, Sweet Potato, Pecans, Thanksgiving
Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....