The ultimate pumpkin pie to serve with your holiday dinner. The pumpkin pie is traditional, and the walnut-sugar topping is absolutely delicious.
Walnut Pumpkin Pie
Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch pie
3 large eggs
2 cups (15 ounce can) pumpkin
1½ cups (12 ounce can) evaporated milk
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare Classic Pie Pastry for one 9 inch single-crust pie. Line a 9 inch pie pan with the pastry.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a wire whisk or fork until frothy. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt, beat well to mix. Pour mixture in the pastry-lined pie pan.
- Partially bake for 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter, walnuts, and brown sugar; stir to mix. Gently spoon walnut topping around the outside edge of the partially baked filling.
Tip: Cover the edge of the crust with a 2 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent the crust from over-browning.
- Return to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer until the topping is lightly browned and a kitchen knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool on a wire cooling rack before cutting and serving. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.
Serving suggestion: Serve pie either when cooled to room temperature or still slightly warm. Serve plain or spoon a dollop of whipped cream on top.
Description: Single Crust Custard Pie with Nut Topping
Pan: One 9" Pie
Pastry: Classic Pie
Pastry Prep: Unbaked
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Baking Time: 60 to 65 Minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Storage: Cover and Refrigerate
Recipe Type: Pie, Pumpkin, Walnut, Thanksgiving
Help: Classic Pie Pastry
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....