Molasses and warm spices mix together to make a delicious, aromatic bread. This bread is very moist and stores well, and the walnuts sprinkled on top make a pretty topping.
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk, chilled
¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup light or dark molasses
¼ cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons commercial applesauce
2 large eggs
½ cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare one 9x5x2¾ inch loaf pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening and dust with flour. Tip: to make baked bread easier to remove from pan, lightly grease the pan, line with parchment paper, and then lightly grease the top of the parchment paper and dust with flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, brown sugar, molasses, oil, applesauce, and eggs; whisk together until well blended. Add flour mixture; stir just until blended. Stir in raisins.
- Pour batter in the loaf pan. Sprinkle walnuts on top, down the center of the loaf.
- Bake 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove pan from oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Grabbing the top edges of the parchment paper, lift bread from loaf pans and place on a wire cooling rack to finish cooling. Remove parchment paper and discard.
Makes 1 loaf
Recipe Adapted from Cooking Light May 2006
Description: Sweet Bread with Fruit and Nuts
Pan: One 9"x5"x2¾" Loaf Pan
Pan Prep: Greased and Floured
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Baking Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 1 Loaf
Storage: Tightly Wrapped, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Sweet Bread, Apple, Raisins, Thanksgiving
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....