If you like sweet cornbread, you will love these scones! The cornmeal provides a nice taste and texture; the dried cherries give wonderful bursts of cherry sweetness.
Cherry Cornmeal Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1½ cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
¾ cups dried sweet cherries
1 cup buttermilk, chilled
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Tip: Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Baking sheet may be ungreased, lined with parchment paper, or lined with a non-stick baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk together to mix. Add 2/3 cup sugar and cornmeal to the flour mixture; whisk together.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cherries. Add buttermilk; stir just until mixed. The dough will be stiff and slightly sticky. If necessary, turn the mixture onto a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board and knead gently just until the flour is combined. Do not over-knead as this will make a tougher scone.
- Shape the dough into balls about 2¼ inches in diameter. Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets, and flatten just slightly to about 1½ inch thick.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon sugar on top of each scone.
- Place baking sheets in oven and immediately turn the oven temperature down to 375 degrees F. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the scones are lightly browned. Remove scones from baking sheets and cool on wire cooling racks.
Makes 12 Scones
Description: Fruit Scones
Pan:One Large Baking Sheet
Pan Prep: Greased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 425o
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Baking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 12 Scones
Storage: Tightly Wrapped, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Scones, Cherry, Cornmeal, Egg Free, Afternoon Tea
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....