A light taste of honey and ginger flavor these tender scones; nice with breakfast, as a lunchtime treat or served with afternoon tea.
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
¼ cup honey
½ cup whipping (heavy) cream
1 tablespoon whipping (heavy) cream
2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare one large baking sheet; lightly grease with shortening, or line with parchment paper, or line with a non-stick baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, and salt; whisk together to mix.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, stir the honey and heavy cream together. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture; stir just until mixed.
- On a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board, shape and pat the dough into a 7 inch circle or rectangle, about ¾ inches thick. Cut into wedges, squares or circles with a floured kitchen knife and place them 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.
Tip: Scones can be cut into any shape you desire. Use a drinking glass to make circles, or cut into squares or wedges with a knife, or use a cookie cutter for other shapes. Dip the edges of the cutter in flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Do not pat the edges of the scone down; instead leave the cuts as sharp as possible to allow the scones to rise in layers.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top of each scone with heavy cream. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon turbinado sugar on top of each scone.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until the scones are very lightly browned. Remove scones from baking sheets and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Makes 6 to 8 Scones
Adapted From: “Honey Scones” recipe. Victoria <http://www.victoriamag.com>
Pan:One Large Baking Sheet
Pan Prep: Greased or Parchment Lined
Oven Temp: 425o
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Baking Time: 12 to 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 Scones
Storage: Tightly Wrapped, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Scones, Honey, Afternoon Tea, Egg Free
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....