A delicious and festive sweet yeast bread to serve on Easter day. The dough is twisted into a ring shape and then topped with a mixture of almonds, sugar and rum before baking. Serve either plain, or lightly drizzled with a sweet lemon icing.
½ cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
½ cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees) (preferably whole milk)
2 packages active dry yeast
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon salt
4½ to 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for work surface
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
½ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons rum
Lemon Icing (optional)
1 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 to 4 teaspoons milk (preferably whole milk)
Tip: Use a citrus zester and citrus juicer for fresh zest and freshly squeezed juice. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- In a large mixing bowl combine warm water, warm milk and yeast; stir and let sit until yeast is dissolved, about 10 minutes. Add sugar, eggs, lemon zest, melted butter, and salt; beat until mixture is smooth. Add 2 cups flour; stir until well mixed. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board; knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time if dough is too sticky.
- Place dough in a well greased bowl; turn dough over once to grease the top. Cover bowl with a small kitchen towel and let dough rise is a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare two large baking sheets; light grease with shortening.
- Punch dough down then turn onto a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board; knead dough briefly, 4 to 5 times. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into a rope about 36 inches long.
- Place 2 ropes side by side; twist ropes together gently and loosely, and shape into a ring; pinch the ends to fasten together. Repeat with remaining 2 parts of dough.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water, stir together to mix. Brush tops of rings with egg yolk. In a small bowl, combine almonds, sugar, and rum; spread mixture over rings.
- Cover rings and let rise is a warm place until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until rings are a light golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from oven. Place pans on a wire cooling rack to cool.
Lemon Icing (optional):
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, and enough milk to make a good drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing onto still warm rings.
Description: Sweet Yeast Bread with Nuts
Pan: Two Large Baking Sheets
Pan Prep: Greased
Oven Temp: 350o
Prep Time: 3 Hours
Baking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 2 Rings
Storage: Covered, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Sweet Yeast Bread, Easter, Lemon
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....