Orange sweet dough combines nicely with the sugar and cinnamon in these rolls that are filled with plump raisins and pecan pieces, then covered with an orange icing. And they are just as delicious if you choose to omit the raisins and pecans. Serve as a breakfast or brunch treat to add a taste of sunshine to your meal.
Orange Cinnamon Rolls
¾ cup warm orange juice (110 to 115 degrees)
1 package active dry yeast
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
3 to 3½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ cup raisins (optional)
¼ cup pecans, coarsely chopped (optional)
1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
Tip: Use a citrus zester and citrus juicer for fresh zest and freshly squeezed juice. Use standard measuring cups and spoons or scales for accurate measuring.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine warm orange juice and yeast; stir and let sit until yeast is dissolved, about 10 minutes. Add sugar, egg, melted butter, salt, and orange zest; beat until mixture is smooth. Add 2 cups flour; stir until well mixed. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board; knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time if dough is too sticky.
- Place dough in a well greased bowl; turn dough over once to grease the top. Cover bowl with a small kitchen towel and let dough rise is a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Prepare one 13x9x2 inch oblong pan; lightly grease the pan with shortening.
- Punch dough down then turn onto a lightly floured pastry mat or pastry board; knead dough briefly, 4 to 5 times. Roll the dough into an 18 inch by 9 inch rectangle.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the top of the dough with melted butter to within ½ inch of the edges.
- In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle sugar cinnamon mixture evenly over buttered dough to within ½ inch of the edges. Sprinkle with raisins and pecans (optional). Roll-up dough jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch the seams together to seal. Slice dough into 1½ inch pieces and place about ½ inch apart in baking pan.
- Cover and let rolls rise is a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake rolls 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove rolls from oven. Place pan on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners sugar, butter, vanilla, orange zest, and enough orange juice to make a good spreading consistency. Spread icing onto still warm rolls.
Makes 12 rolls
Description: Glazed Sweet Yeast Rolls
Pan: One 13"x9"x2" inch oblong
Pan Prep: Greased
Oven Temp: 375o
Prep Time: 4 Hours
Baking Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Yield: 12 Rolls
Storage: Tightly Wrapped, Room Temperature
Recipe Type: Sweet Yeast Bread, Orange, Raisins, Pecans
Kitchen and Baking Store
Easy on-line shopping for all your kitchen, baking, and home needs.
Bakeware, Cookware, Kitchen Tools, Books, Cookbooks, Electrics, Food, Gifts, Coffee, Chocolate, Gifts, and more.....