I saw a recipe for Triple Chocolate Chile cookies on bojongourmet.com and decided to try, but with a few of my own twists thrown in. I think the final outcome of my recipe is 100% success.
Help: Help: Cookie Hints and Tips | Melting Chocolate | Chocolate Types
Shop for this Recipe: Measuring Cups, Spoons, Scales | Cookie and Baking Sheets | Parchment Paper | Mixing Bowls | Electric Mixers | Wire Whisks | Rubber, Silicone Spatulas | Cookware | Double Boilers | Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer | Timestick
TheBakingPan Recommends: The BEST instant read thermometer I’ve used for cooking and baking; the ThermoWorks Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer is incredibly fast, accurate, and well worth the investment. I use my Thermapen Thermometer for checking room temperature ingredients, tempering chocolate, baking bread, making pastry creams, sugar syrup, caramel, and candy, cooking meats and fish, and deep frying. Thermapen Thermometer available here.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In top of a double boiler over hot water, melt chocolate; set aside. Tip: Create a double boiler by filling a saucepan with 2 inches of water and bringing it to a simmer. Turn the heat off and place a stainless steel, ceramic, or glass bowl on top of the hot water, the upper pan should not touch the water.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; sift or whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed about 1 minute until it is smooth and light in color. Gradually add the granulated sugar and mix together on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add brown sugar and beat until well mixed and any lumps in the brown sugar are dissolved. Use a rubber spatula to scrap down the side of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beat until thoroughly blended.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the melted chocolate, mix until blended. Add the flour mixture, mix just until the flour is completely blended. Stir in the chocolate chips. The batter will be very thick.
- Bake: Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake 12 minutes or until cookies are set and slightly puffed and the tops begin to crack. Do not over-bake. Remove cookies from baking sheets with a metal spatula and place on a wire cooling rack to cool.